Denbigh Castle, Denbigh
Defended by a unique triple towered gatehouse, Denbigh Castle sits above the market town of Denbigh.
This beautiful castle was built in two phases, starting in 1282 with the second phase in 1295.
Although a ruin, the castle outline and towers still exist and much of the walls and towers can be seen.
The facilities include free on site parking, cycle stands, toilets, baby changing facilities, Portable induction loop, exhibition, gift shop and light refreshments. Dogs on leads are welcome. Recommended day out. website: tel: 01745 813385 address: Denbigh Castle, Castle Hill, Denbigh, LL16 3NB on the map:
Denbigh Library, Denbigh
Denbigh library was built in 1572 as a Shire Hall, by Queen Elizabeth Iís favourite, Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester. In those days the colonnades were open to accommodate a Market Hall. The building which is peaceful and attractive offers everything you would expect from a modern day library, including a vast multitude of books, the opportunity to order specific books in, to view their art exhibits, view the library archives, and make use of computer and internet access, including printing and photo-copying facilities. tel: 01745 816313 address: Hall Square, Denbigh LL16 3NU on the map:
Denbigh town walls, Denbigh
The historic town of Denbigh, meaning Little Fortress, began to grow after being conquered by Edward I in 1282, who began the construction of Denbigh Castle, which offered protection, but was in turn, protected by the town walls. In 1643 its walls defended a royalist garrison in the civil war. They surrendered in 1646 and the walls were allowed to fall into ruin. This was good for the fortress town, allowing it to become one of the largest and richest market towns in Elizabethan Wales. You can still walk around the remains today. address: Denbigh on the map:
Leicesterís Church, Denbigh
Built in 1578 for Robert Dudley, this large Church Ruin still stands in the centre of Denbigh. It was Robertís intention to raise enough funds to turn this Church, into the new Protestant Cathedral, to replace St. Asaphís, but due to his unpopularity he was unable to raise the necessary funds. Local people were also so opposed to his plans, that they regularly destroyed parts of the work as it had been completed. Eventually the project was completely abandoned. It remains impressive none the less. tel: 01443 336000 address: Denbigh on the map:
St Hilaryís Chapel, Denbigh
Built into the Denbigh Walls in the 13th C; just the 15m tall tower and a short section of the West wall remains. The Chapel was due to be replaced by Leicesterís Church, but as that was never completed due to a lack of funds and local opposition, St Hilary's Chapel remained in use longer than expected. The Chapel was replaced when a new Church dedicated to St. Mary was built nearby. All except the tower became so dilapidated that it was demolished in 1923. The remaining tower is an impressive sight, with a 15th C battlement and gargoyles. address: Denbigh on the map: